RKIDs Membership and Class Information
Membership: Who and How
The Ring of Kerry Irish Dancers welcomes adults, 18 and older. Skill levels among our members range from total beginners to dancers with years of experience.
Download our membership application form using the button further down this page. Membership runs from October 1 through September 30 of the following year. Return one form per person to the address shown on the first page. Payment checks can be for multiple people, just include their forms and indicate how much payment is going to which person and for what purpose (i.e., membership dues, class application, or donations).
Classes: Where, What and When
As a member, you are entitled to, but don't have to, enroll in classes, but can just participate in and enjoy the non-dancing social activities we offer. However, if you want to enroll, your membership dues must be paid for the duration of the class semester you are interested in joining. For example, to enroll in a Fall semester offered in September - December, you must also pay the membership fee for that October - September (of the following year) time frame.
Classes generally are held in the cafeteria at the Ridgeview Middle School located at 16600 Raven Rock Dr, Gaithersburg, MD 20878, but always check our calendar to be sure where to find us on a particular date. We meet most Tuesdays from 7:00 pm - 8:45 pm. We're off most of the summer and resume in September.
Our Who We Are page has more information on what goes into each class.
Generally, tuition is not prorated if we must shorten the semester due to inclement weather or cancellations caused by the school system. We try to schedule make-up classes, and try to teach 13 to 15 classes per semester, but that's not guaranteed.
It's desirable to have:
- A sense of humor
- Comfortable shoes
- Two feet (preferably one right and one left, but don't let having two left feet stop you)
But you do NOT need:
- A partner
- Irish ancestry
- Previous dance experience
Our club contact can give you more information.
Cost per Person
Other Membership Benefits
As a member, you don't have to go to dance classes. We are strongly oriented towards social activities. Members also get these benefits:
- Invitation for one year to all RKIDs' social activities and events;
- Participate in our book discussion group;
- Brunches, dinners out and parties, such as celebrating St. Patrick's Day;
- Going to movies and occasional tours;
- Participation in parades (with certain guidelines, such as approval by parade organizers);
- Attend annual meetings and vote for Directors and bylaw changes;
- Inclusion on club announcements email list;
- Right to attend Directors' meetings and run for a position on the Board of Directors.
Membership fees are not prorated over the course of the year.